Interculturalism, Migration and Minorities Research Centre
Noel Salazar was unanimously elected as President of the European Association of Social Anthropologists for the period 2013-20142013-03-19After the January 2013 elections for a new executive committee, which Noel Salazar won with a large majority of votes, he was unanimously elected as President of the European Association of Social Anthropologists for the period 2013-2014.
- 2012-12-19: The Seminar Series ‘Debating Multiculturalism’ presents Ico Maly ‘N-VA. Analyse van een politieke ideologie’
- 2012-11-30: International workshop
Research Area & Mission
IMMRC (Interculturalism, Migration and Minorities Research Centre) conducts state-of-the-art anthropological analyses of topics related to mobility and minorities. It focuses on tangible and intangible relations, and borders. Through in-depth ethnographic study, the researchers disentangle the diversified relations and their global (dis)connections, with special attention for minorities and less visible community building.
Topics & Current Projects
- Mobilities (e.g. migration, identity, tourism, transnational students and professionals, transborder trade…)
- Crossing boundaries (e.g. conversion, religious identifications, arts, healing & traditional medicine, development, gender, disability …)
- Interculturalism and urban space (e.g. market places as global meeting place, ephemeral relations, entrepreneurship, mixed neighborhoods, multicultural festivals, education, …)
Fethullah Gülen Chair for Intercultural Studies
Purpose of the Fethullah Gülen Chair for Intercultural Studies - GCIS:
- Stimulating research on intercultural understanding with a special focus on relations between Muslim communities and the wider society in Europe.
- Providing an academic platform where researchers can present, debate and exchange their findings on the study of Islam and Muslims.
- Activities Report 2011 2012. See here...
- 16/1 - Prize for best thesis - Fetüllah Gülen Chair, titled: ‘Het Belgisch Beleid Inzake Gezinshereniging (1952-1980): Genese en Problematisering’. Read more...